In my quest for beverages, I stumbled upon this great idea to make myself a green smoothie the other day! I was SO ready to gobble that thing up and suck down all that good vegetable and fruit goodness. I get to the kitchen and start adding things to the blender and mixing and scraping down the sides and mixing some more and adding a few things. I was really excited about it all.
In case you were wondering what I put in there, it was a handful of spinach, almond milk, some ice, strawberries, pineapples, mango, and agave nectar as a sweetener. It sounded so good……..
And then I mixed it. And it turned green. And it started to look like baby poop. My mind started racing and I thought “I can’t drink this mess!” And I didn’t. I am a green smoothie drop out. I simply could not drink it and be happy. No way… I just can’t!
You would think I would have given up completely on the smoothie thing but no….I pressed on and came up with something that I could hang with. I struggle to incorporate the right amount of protein into my diet. It has been a longstanding struggle of mine because I LOVE carbs….buttered rolls anyone? Carbs = comfort for me and I just love them! I set out to come up with a smoothie that would provide me with some protein but also satisfy my sweet tooth craving from time to time. This where the chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas come into play.
Although Lady S has a severe allergy to peanut/peanut butter, we still keep it in our home. We are SUPER CAREFUL with it and usually only consume it when she is not in the house or for work lunches. I decided to concoct a smoothie recipe that has it in there and some chocolate too! The banana is added for fun and for a boost of fruit!
So without further adieu
Choco-Nana Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 1-2 tbsps of Natural Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup of Unsweetened or Vanilla Almond Milk (you can also use soy milk, regular milk, or plain/vanilla greek yogurt)
- 1 tbsp of semisweet or milk chocolate chips (can substitute white chocolate or butterscotch chips)
- ice cubes (quantity depends on how much you like)
- 1 Frozen banana OR 1 freshly peeled banana (eliminate the ice if using a frozen banana)
- 1 splash of real vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in the blender. If using ice, place it at the bottom so it crushes and blends completely.
- Blend until well mixed and enjoy!
Protein and Fruit all in one and some chocolate too! SCORE!